Saturday, May 24, 2008

Historic designation for the EV, the Bowery and Chinatown?

I have recently become involved in an effort to create a historic district of the East Village, where many smaller buildings remain at risk of redevelopment or expansion under the rezoning. An East Village Historic District will slow the pace of gentrification and displacement by restricting or preventing such development.

This project requires surveying all the buildings in the entire neighborhood, a task every minute of which I will enjoy and in which I will welcome your company. I will be writing more about it soon.

I'm also hoping groups in the Bowery and Chinatown, areas most in need of protection from development, will take an interest in historic districting. If you know any groups or contacts there that might support such an effort, drop me a line!

Meanwhile, I am moved to thank the many readers who responded so sympathetically to my last post. There is a community here! Well, I may have tired of fights, but I haven't tired of work.

No comments: